There are a lot of carpet cleaning tips! It is funny how quickly you can forget what they are when you actually spill something. Luckily for you, we put them all together for your reference.
Here are some tips that will help you in case of a spill and keep your carpet looking like new:
1. Before a spill or stain even occurs, it is important to keep your carpet clean all the time by REGULAR VACUUMING at least once a week. When you are trying to remove a stain and you haven't vacuumed, you are not only fighting the stain, but also the dirt and dust build-up.
2. Club soda is said to remove red wine stains and food or drinks with red dye in them. (found in drink mixes, Popsicles, dog and cat food) with a 30/ 70 solution of peroxide to water. Peroxide is bleach, so test a small spot first for colour fastness. Apply the mixture, wait 30 minutes, then remove as much moisture as possible and rinse with a vinegar/ water solution.
3. Stains in carpet can be a hassle to remove. Never rub a stain, just blot. Rubbing breaks down the fibres and spreads the stain. Remove most food stains with shaving cream. Spray, then let it set for 15 minutes. Rinse with a vinegar and water solution.
4. Pet stains: Baking soda and peroxide remain your best hope. Mix a 30/ 70 solution of peroxide to water, adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of mixture. It will bubble, but not before removing the stain and smell. Always test a spot first for colour fastness. Peroxide is bleach and may discolour the carpet. Blot up what you can with an old towel and rinse well with 1/3 cup vinegar per quart of water.
4 IMMEDIATE STEPS YOU MUST DO:
WHEN WATER DAMAGE OCCURS, EVEN A FEW HOURS CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE IN SAVING EXPENSIVE CARPETS AND FURNITURE. READ THIS TO MINIMIZE YOUR LOSSES.
1. AVOID HAZARDS! Your home has already suffered and the last thing you need is an injury. Be extremely careful of the deadly combination of water and electricity. Also when you’re walking around, wet carpets and floors are slippery, so be cautious. Stay away from RAW SEWAGE back-ups because they contain nasty bacteria and can be harmful to your health.
2. STOP THE SOURCE! If you haven’t located the source of the water, call us immediately at 416-744-3400, and we will guide you through this (it is crucial to know what to do). If you’ve stopped the source already...
3. TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION: Remember, time is crucial so after you have called us and we are on our way, you should...
4. REMOVE FURNITURE! Wood furniture will stain carpets and these stains cannot be removed. Rust stains from metal are extremely difficult to remove and may be permanent. 95% of water damage jobs are restorable and of the 5% which aren’t restored, most are caused by not removing the furniture. So either move furniture that’s near water or place something under the legs.